Friday, January 6, 2017

Fishing In Lady Bird Lake For Atmosphere and Brother Ali.

Fishing Blue.

New in the online shop! I just created a first for me. Last year I made a Deftones gig poster and had it digitally printed. It was well received and I had a lot of fun making them and seeing them printed was a super rewarding feeling. So for my next poster I wanted to go deeper. I opted to make a leap and make a screenprinted poster. There are some hurdles within any printing process, but print is so damn rewarding you learn to make it happen.

For this poster I decided to go full throttle and go in as far as my wallet would let me. This poster is much larger than the last, weighing in at 18" x 24", and printed on French Paper. I've been wanting to do something on French since I first found it last year, likely through Draplin or Field Notes, and I've just been waiting for the right project to make it happen.

I love Atmosphere, straight up. I've been a fan of Slug since I was in college attending underground rap battles and participating in underage drinking. This shit was a great soundtrack lol. It's been cool watching these guys grow as artists over the years. Although I'll always favor classics like God Loves Ugly and the shift in Paint It Gold, their newest release Fishing Blues showcases their growth as artists. Last year I photographed their show with the gawd Brother Ali, as well. So when I heard of Slug's return, it was a no-brainer that this would be the project to take crack two at a gig poster.

Long story long, I used the theme of their tour, dubbed "The Freshwater Fly Fishermen Tour", to create this image in conjunction with a taste of Austin using the river that flows through our city. I will write more about the process on my portfolio page, for now you can get your poster in my online shop before anyone else. I am picking them up later today so they will even ship out sooner than expected. There are two editions, 40 & 10 (variant), only 50 total, so act quickly!

Thanks and I'll see y'all again real soon.


Stay Creative,
BLUE731.

No comments: